Compressing the files and storing them into ZIP files is one of the best things about data storage. It becomes easier to save the data and share the files without any issues with the file compression systems. There are a lot of great compression algorithms that are being used in the computer industry. Be it the Zip, 7Zip, Rar or any other; the huge data is being compressed for ultimate portability in these formats.
When you have to deal with a huge data, compressing the files and folders becomes the routine. Have you have heard about the 7-Zip? Well, it’s an amazing utility that is suitable to compress and decompress almost all of the archived folders with ease. If you have not heard about the same, then it’s time you should hear. In this post, we will share detailed information on what is 7-Zip and everything that you should know about the same.
What is 7-Zip?
7-Zip is a file compression application that makes it easy to compress and decompress the various files, executables etc. The 7-Zip was developed by Igor Pavlov back in 1999. It comes with a high compression ratio and portability, making it one of the best programs.
The 7-Zip is being used by many people who want to save space and share files easily without any issues. It comes with self-extracting modules that help in creating the executable file for compressed content. Also, 7-Zip supports the multi-part compression and extraction process, in which the huge data is split into multiple compressed folders for easy transmission.
How to use 7-Zip?
Thanks to the super simple user interface, it’s pretty easy to use 7-Zip on your system. Here are the exact steps to use 7-Zip on Windows.
- First of all, download 7Zip from the official website and install it on the Windows computer. You can use it on Linux and macOS also but have to follow the different installation procedures.
- After installing the 7-Zip on your computer, all compressed archives will be associated with the same.
- You can right-click on the Compressed Archives and hover over the 7-Zip option, and then you can access every action. Creating the new archive, opening the archive, decompressing the archive, or anything else can be done easily.
- Also, you can open the 7-Zip app from the desktop icon or the start menu to manually browse and create, open, and decompress the archives with ease.
Features of 7-Zip
- Open Source – 7-Zip is an open-source application that is freely available to use. There are no advertisements or anything else in this app, which makes it easier to use. As it’s an open-source app, it’s updated by the big community and almost every bug is fixed immediately. If you are an advocate of open-source apps, then it’s the right choice for your needs.
- High Compression Rate – When it comes to the compression rate, 7Zip comes to the top compared to the other apps. With the high-end compression using the LZMA and LZMA2 algorithms, 7-Zip works pretty fast and efficiently.
- Multiple Archive Format Support – .ZIP or. RAR is not the only format for archived folders. Tons of file archive formats are pretty commonly used. Well, you don’t have to worry about any format as 7-Zip can virtually decompress all of the formats with ease. You don’t have to worry about the file formats that might look weird to you, as 7-Zip can easily uncompress the same within a few seconds.
- AES 256 Encryption – When it comes to security, the 7-Zip is one of the most advanced software. It comes with the support of the AES-256 Bit encryption algorithm. With this algorithm, you can encrypt the archives with ease for ultimate security. This is one of the best features for those who will compress sensitive data in the archives.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1 – Is 7-Zip Better than WinRAR?
7-Zip is an open-source software program, which works perfectly fine on Windows computers. WinRAR, on the other hand, is proprietary software and is not open-source. Also, 7-Zip is better in performance than WinRAR, which makes it an amazing choice for everyone.
#2 – Is 7-Zip Free?
Yes. 7-Zip is a free and open-source software program, which is available for everyone. There is no subscription fee or anything of that sort from the users.
#3 – How do I Download 7Zip?
7-Zip is available for free on their official website. To download 7-Zip, visit the official website and get the appropriate installer. For the Windows 64-Bit system, you should choose the x64 version, and for Windows 32-Bit system, you should choose the x86 version.
There are a few software programs that we consider essential utilities. The file compression and decompression program are considered as one of the essential utilities for computers. When it comes to the best file compression app, the 7-Zip wins the title. Since it was released to the public under the open-source license, it has become one of the most popular file compression apps for Windows users. Nowadays, it’s available for all of the platforms, and users can easily make use of them. In this post, we tried our best to share detailed information about 7-Zip and its features. All you have to do now is visit the official website and download the same on your computer.