7-Zip is one of the finest file compression software programs. Being an open-source program, it comes without any fees or advertisements that can annoy the users. Due to the open-source nature, it’s quite common in the corporate world, where the companies use it instead of the other paid options. 7-Zip provides the ultimate security to those who want to encrypt the files in Windows 10. The super secure AES-256 encryption algorithm makes it easier to encrypt the files and share them over the internet or local network.
The AES-256 encrypted files and folders have become the norm for sharing confidential files over the network in the corporate world. That doesn’t mean that you can not use it in the consumer-end applications. If you are interested in learning how to encrypt your files in 7-Zip, then you are at the right place. In this post, we will share detailed information on the exact process that will teach you how to encrypt your files in 7-zip with Ease. All you have to do is to follow the steps, and you are ready to roll.
How to Encrypt Your Files and Folders in 7-Zip with Ease?
Encryption is pretty easy when you are using 7-Zip on Windows. You get the graphical user interface which makes it convenient to use all the features effortlessly. Here are the exact steps that will help you to encrypt files and folders in 7-Zip.
- First of all, right-click on the folder or file that you want to encrypt.
- After that, hover on “7zip” and click on the “Add to Archive…” option.
- This will open the new WIndow, where you can adjust the compression setting. In the settings, you can change the folder’s name, compression format, compression algorithm, compression level, and many other things with Ease.
- In the same window, you’ll find the Encryption section. Enter the password two times in the provided field and select the Encryption Method. We recommend you keep AES-256 as the by default Encryption method for better security.
- After that, click on “OK” to convert the file or folder into the 7Z compressed Archive. The Archived folder will appear in the same directory as the selected file.
- To open the Archive, you have to open the 7-Zip app or right-click on the Compressed Archive; hover over 7Zip and select “Open Archive.” This will open the Archive.
- Now while extracting the folder content, you have to enter the password to proceed.
How to Share Encryption Passwords for 7Zip Archives?
Keeping the password of the encrypted archive safe is your responsibility. Without the password, no one can access the contents of your Archive. But with the password in the wrong hands, anyone can open the Archive and access the data. So, it’s essential to share the password with trusted people and share it securely.
Usually, writing down the password even for the Archive is not recommended at all. It’s prone to get lost and also stolen by others. So, it’s important to share it via other mediums, like Notes, Emails, and even social media. Also, you can share the password for the file with the concerned person through the calls, which is comparatively secure. Also, make sure to use a password that is not easily recognizable. Your company name, name, date of birth, and mobile number are a few examples of weak passwords that anyone can guess within a few minutes.
Securely storing and compressing the data is essential when you want to keep the same protected. The encryption feature in 7-Zip makes it easier to compress and encrypt the files and folders for easy sharing. The compression algorithm of 7-Zip is world-class and provides better performance than all other file compression software programs available for the users. In this post, we tried our best to share detailed information on encrypting your files in 7-zip. Follow these steps correctly, and you will get a secure file or folder to share with your colleagues.